Today I put together an impromptu Jessica Jones cosplay, using some items I had lying around the house. People always ask me if it is hard to put together a cosplay from scratch, and the answer is yes & no. It depends on the character you want to portray. Jessica Jones is a great example of a character that is simple enough to create, just using make up and clothes you may already have.
I am a big fan of the Jessica Jones Netflix series and love her no-apologies sense of humor and bad ass attitude. Her style is quite similar to mine, which is why I had a lot of the clothing items already. The good news is, a lot of the clothes she wears are simple and easy to find in thrift shops or in affordable clothing stores, such as Pennys/Primark. Alternatively, for an even cheaper (not to mention, minimalist) option, consider borrowing some items from friends or family, if possible.
For a DIY Jessica Jones cosplay, you will need:
- Dark hair or wig (my wig is from ebay!)
- A grey scarf
- A leather jacket
- Black fingerless gloves
- Light blue jeans (not pictured)
- Black boots (not pictured)
- A fake or real camera (to be used as a prop)
- Optional: Fake wounds or cuts (for added effect!)
Oh, and having resting bitch face also helps a lot! Jessica Jones takes no shit from anyone.
And there you have it my friends, a easy and affordable Jessica Jones cosplay.
You’ll be the baddest bitch in Hells Kitchen in no time!
There’s no doubt that Lara Croft – the main character of the Tomb Raider franchise – is a true legendary action hero. We’ve seen her overcome insurmountable odds with nothing more than her wits and pistols. When her character was rebooted in Tomb Raider in 2013, she was still a badass despite the fact that she had almost zero hand-to-hand combat skills during her search for the lost kingdom of Yamatai.
Over the years, Tomb Raider has become a benchmark for successful video games. After the success of the original Tomb Raider game in 1996, numerous spinoffs were created in Lara Croft’s honor, with the most recent being Lara Croft Go – a 3D mobile game for puzzle fans. Her massive popularity also allowed her franchise to branch out past traditional consoles and into pay-to-play gaming with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, a stand-alone title being offered on the gaming site Pocket Fruity. No matter the genre, Tomb Raider excels, which only goes to shows how serious the franchise’s game developers are in keeping it a benchmark for others to aspire to be as good as.
Apart from being a badass in her games, the character has also become a national symbol for female empowerment, which is why many girls who go to comic cons cosplay as her. Cosplaying Lara Croft is easy as she only uses clothes that can be readily bought in boutiques. If you’re thinking about cosplaying this awesome femme fatale, here’s an easy cosplay guide that was focuses on her Angel of Darkness costume:
1. You need a black-colored tank top. Shorten the top by folding it or cutting it.
2. For her shorts, you need a pair of green camouflage ones that are turned up at the bottom with a black belt. Then, strap gun holsters to each of your legs.
3. For your footwear, you need brown-colored boots. Wear them with long, rolled-down white socks.
4. Lara wears a ponytail in Angel of Darkness. Her hair color is brown so either use a wig or dye your hair temporarily, whichever is more convenient.
5. For the gloves, you need to find black ones. If the gloves cover the entire hand, cut the gloves so your fingers show.
6. Wear a small, black backpack.
7. Lara’s make up isn’t difficult to do given the fact that she doesn’t wear a lot. Make sure to use natural-looking make up, and a lipstick that’s a bit darker than your natural skin tone.
8. Finally, wear some black-tinted sunglasses.
That’s it! Follow these easy steps and you’ll be killing it in your Lara Croft cosplay at any future comic con or party!